The Mumbai Press Club Wednesday condemned the shooting at the Paris office of Charlie Hebdo magazine that left at least 12 people, mostly journalists, dead.
“It is a clear attack on the freedom of expression… The Mumbai Press Club stands by the bereaved family members… It is a sad for journalists across the globe,” a statement said.
It said the media practitioners across the world, whether in conflict zones or otherwise, have been under attack from all quarters.
“We have seen what has happened in Iraq last year and in Afghanistan and Pakistan and also other parts of the globe. We in India too are seeing attack on media professionals,” the Mumbai Press Club statement added.
Terming Wednesday’s incident as a bit different as it was “a direct attack on the office of a magazine in which journalists have been killed”, it said the manner in which it was executed clearly shows a heinous plan which had been carried out with near precision.
It pointed out that when the role of David Coleman Headley was being examined in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack by the FBI, plans for one or more attacks at facilities and employees of Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten, a Danish newspaper, had come to light.
“The Mumbai Press Club would be openly condemning such attacks – and also make efforts to ensure that we take up issues of safety of media houses and professionals in international fora,” the statement said.
Journalist, illustrator and editor-in-chief of Charlie Hebdo magazine, known as “Charb”, as well as three other cartoonists, “Cabu,” “Tignous” and “Wolinski,” were among the fatalities.