A BBC documentary on Mukesh Singh, one of the December 16, 2012 gang rape convicts, has been uploaded on video sharing website YouTube by an individual despite an explicit ban in India as announced by Home Minister Rajnath Singh in parliament.
The Indian home ministry on Wednesday said orders were obtained from court to restrain the broadcast of the documentary. However, the BBC said, “BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only”.
Citing no permission taken to interview the convict inside the Tihar Jail, the home ministry said, “The producers of documentary on Nirbhaya were required to take approval from jail authorities before the telecast but they did not do so.”
The documentary “India’s daughter” by British filmmaker Leslee Udwin has kicked up a storm over the interview of one of the six men who raped the 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist on December 16, 2012 on board a moving bus in Delhi.
The incident shocked not only Delhi but the whole country as the victim suffered, struggled to live despite maximum medical care provided by then UPA chief Sonia Gandhi. She died in a Singaporre hospital where she had been airlifted by the government for specialised treatment.
It is ironic that the government is trying to shield the culprits who would get exposed by the video and its unsought ban. In fact, by banning the video, Rajnath Singh has given it immense publicity that it is going viral on Youtube. Will the government revoke the ban that is useless now?